Saturday, March 16, 2019

Why the uptick in white supremacists makes sense!

Friday, March 15, 2019 the President was asked during a briefing if white nationalism was a growing threat worldwide. He said he did not believe it was growing. Why would the President respond this way when all data over the last two years say the opposite? Why would anyone say white supremacists are not growing worldwide when we see their presence and hate-filled impact almost every week in some way?

I will start by defining white supremacy. Then I will chronicle empires that have ruled the world from 2400 BC to present day. I will share stats that will give a panoramic view of how the world is changing ethnically, especially in the US. Finally, I will share two stories from my past that gave me insight into the mind and heart of white men, or at least white men in the America.

White supremacy 

Merriam-Webster defines a white supremacist as a person who believes that the white race is inherently superior to other races and that white people should have control over people of other races.

Sidenote: Ever wonder why hate and violence is associated with any ethnicity that deems themselves superior to another ethnicity? This definition sheds some light on why this is so.

Empires that ruled the Earth since 2400 BC

Egypt--2400 BC (Part of AFRICA) (ruled about 1280 yrs)
Shang--1122 BC (Part of CHINA) (ruled about 450 yrs)
Assyria--670 BC (Part of IRAQ) (ruled about 100 yrs)
Median--585 BC (Part of IRAN) (ruled about 50 yrs)
Achaemenid--539 BC (Part of INDIA) (ruled about 350 yrs)
Xiongnu--176 BC (Part of CHINA) (ruled about 900 yrs)
Umayyad Caliphate--720 AD (Part of North AFRICA and CHINA) (ruled about 500 yrs)
Mongol--1227 AD (Parts of EUROPE and ASIA) (ruled about 650 yrs)
British--1880 AD to present (Part of EUROPE) (has ruled about 140 yrs)

Africa, China, Iraq, Iran and India ruled the world for the first 3600 (of  almost 4400) years of world history. Europe has ruled the world for the past 790 years.

So, if European ethnicities are presently ruling the world, why do some people of European decent feel the need to preserve their rule by exploiting and killing other ethnicities like Muslims, Jews and Africans, while demanding that Hispanics not migrate to the US, etc.? Why would European men want to preserve themselves and their influence if they have ruled the world for the past 790 years? Is there another country encroaching and threatening to replace their empire?

Let's see.

Seven countries make up 52% of the world's population--USA, Brazil, Nigeria, Pakastan, India, China, and Indonesia (notice no European country is listed).

According to Pew Research, US growth from 1950 to 2010 doubled mainly because of Hispanics and Asians. Hispanics are growing the fastest because of births and Asians are growing because of immigration (notice European descendants are not mentioned as a group that is growing significantly). 

I have had two experiences in the past 35 years that gave me a glimpse into why some, if not many, white males feel their reign might be coming to an end. I attended a high school 35 years ago that was probably 97% white. I was voted Junior class president and then Student Body President my senior year. 

Soon after my senior win, one of my white male friends while standing in the middle of the hall said, "Melody, you aren't going to treat the white people badly?" I told him no, that I would not do that. I did not think much of his question at first, but eventually I realized that my friend gave me a glimpse into the mind of a white male, but more specifically a white male in America. 

If minorities in America ever gained power and authority, would we treat white people the way some white people throughout our history have treated us? Would we enslave them, tear their families apart, rape their wives and daughters, advance economically on their free labor, perpetuate the lie that they are not smart, innovative, and thought leaders, etc.? I can see why the thought of losing power would cause anyone with this history to fear a switch in power and want to do anything to include violence to remain in a position of authority.

Fast forward a decade. I was a missionary to college students and I was practicing a speech I had to give later that evening. I was expressing to a white male friend that I was nervous. He said, "have you practiced? If so, you shouldn't be nervous." I can't remember what I said after his response that generated his next statement, but he says, "White males don't have an advantage anymore. We don't have as much influence as you think.

I honestly did not have a context to process what he was saying at the time. At that point in my life, white males had more advantages than any other people group I knew. I did not understand then, but I do now

I think my white male friend knew 25 years ago that European influence and rule at least in America, if not around the world, was coming to an end. He felt this enough to say it out loud (to someone he apparently felt comfortable enough to say it). I think white males all around the world feel their power and influence is ending and many are retaliating; they are fighting back. They are demanding that their empire remain. 

The problem with this position is all empires come to an end eventually.

Who will rule the world after Europe? I don't know. But what we as Christians, true followers of Christ, know is regardless of who 'sits on the throne' in this world, Jesus sits on THE throne and rules His empire/kingdom. The question for us is--which empire/kingdom will we want to build? The one on earth or the one in heaven? 

My prayer is we, as true followers of Christ, will want to build God's empire/kingdom!

If you want to learn more about politics and its impact on the Church, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment